All information on this page can and will be asked during weekly inspection. When answering these questions, responses should be framed in a way that addresses the inspecting cadet or instructor properly, repeats the question, and gives the correct answer. (Ex: “Cadet, what is the first order to the sentry?” “[Sir, ma’am, Petty Officer, Chief], the first order to the sentry is to take charge of this post and all government property in view [Sir, ma’am, etc.]”)
Orders to the Sentry
- To take charge of this post and all government property in view
- To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
- To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
- To repeat all calls from any post more distant from the quarterdeck than my own.
- To quit my post only when properly relieved.
- To receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and all officers and petty officers of the watch only.
- To talk to no one except in the line of duty.
- To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
- To call the Officer of the Deck in any case not covered by instructions.
- To salute all officers, colors, and standards not cased.
- To be especially watchful at night and, during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.
Chain of Command
- President of the United States (POTUS/Commander-in-Chief): The Honorable Donald Trump
- Vice President of the United States (VOTUS): The Honorable Mike Pence
- Speaker of the House: The Honorable Nancy Pelosi
- Secretary of State (SECSTATE): The Honorable Mike Pompeo
- Secretary of Defense (SECDEF): The Honorable Patrick Shanahan (Acting)
- Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV): The Honorable Richard Spencer
- Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: General Joseph Dunford
- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO): Admiral Johnathan Richardson
- Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON SW/IW/AW): Master Chief Petty Officer Russell J. Smith
- Sergeant Major of the Marine Core (SGTMJR): Sergeant Major Troy E. Black
- Commander, Naval Education and Training Command (CNET): Rear Admiral Kyle Cozad
- Commander, Naval Service Training Command (NSTC): Rear Admiral Milton J. Sands.
- Area Manager, Area Five: Captain Jim Daniels
- Senior Naval Science Instructor, James River High School NJROTC (SNSI): Commander Peter Greenwald
- Naval Science Instructor, James River High School NJROTC (NSI): Master Chief Petty Officer Steven Prince