The air rifle team ended a great season this year with CDR Greenwald presenting Coach Ron Echols, a Marine Vietnam combat veteran and former USMC Rifle Team member with the Virginia Rifle League 1st Place Trophy. Ron’s coaching laid the foundation for the team’s stellar performance this season. 2016 marks the third season in the past four years that the team placed first in the Virginia Rifle League standings. The team and following cadets earned awards in addition to their Virginia Rifle League ribbons:
Virginia Rifle League Championship
VRL Top Gun
VRL Top Gun – Prone
VRL Top Gun – Standing
VRL Top Gun – Kneeling
“Top Gun” Award
“Most Improved Shooter” Award
“Most Valuable Shooter” Award
Crater Invitational “Top Gun” Trophy
The air rifle team shot the Virginia Air Rifle League Postal on Monday, 2 May. The varsity air rifle team earned first place overall, beating six Army JROTC teams from Buckingham, Dinwiddie, Prince George, and Powhatan High Schools. Cadet Delaneo Frye achieved the top overall score of the meet in all categories. The scores are as follows.
Varsity (First Place)
- Frye, Delaneo: 96-5 (Prone), 75-0 (Standing), 80-1 (Kneeling), 251-6 (Comp.)
- Freeman, Alex: 87-1 (Prone), 72-1 (Standing), 70-0 (Kneeling), 229-2 (Comp.)
- Ross, Ebony: 92-3 (Prone), 65-1 (Standing), 71-0 (Kneeling), 228-4 (Comp.)
- Davies, Conner: 91-2 (Prone), 56-0 (Standing), 60-1 (Kneeling), 207-3 (Comp.)
Junior Varsity (Seventh Place)
- Pearcy, Jack: 79-0 (Prone), 50-1 (Standing), 57-0 (Kneeling), 186-1 (Comp.)
- Yong, Meily: 75-1 (Prone), 33-0 (Standing), 41-0 (Kneeling), 149-1 (Comp.)
- May, Aundrae: 69-0 (Prone), 37-0 (Standing), 40-0 (Kneeling), 146-0 (Comp.)
- Cook, John: 68-0 (Prone), 16-0 (Standing), 31-1 (Kneeling), 115-1 (Comp.)
HOORAH Cadets! Job well done!
Congratulations to Cadet Frye for shooting a personal best in kneeling on February 23rd. He scored a 94/100. Job well done!
On Friday, 18 March, the unit held an All-Company Formation. During the formation, Principal Ellick spoke to the Cadets about the unit’s impressive performance at Area 5 Championships and was presented with the Second Place Academic trophy earned at Area. Also featured was a performance by the Unarmed Exhibition team, which preceded several awards, including the frocking of Cadets Jack Pearcy, Spencer Willett, and Meily Yong to the rank of Cadet Seaman (E-3) and Cadet Daniel Cappiello to Cadet Petty Officer Third Class (E-4). In addition, the Company Staff roster for the 2016-2017 Academic Term was announced. The Cadets of the month for March, 2016 are Cadet PO/3 Daniel Cappiello for the NS1 award and Cadet PO/3 Quinn Lilly for the upperclassman award. HOORAH to all Cadets who received these rewards and the ones listed below:
Continue reading All Company Formation: Fri, 18 March
Congratulations to Cadet Frye on matching the Air Rifle team record with a score of 98/100 in prone shooting position.